These tacos have become by new obsession. I have been eating them for lunch, for dinner. I would probably even eat them for breakfast if the mood struck. They are so good, so flavorful, and so easy. Mmm! I want them now just posting about them!
Smoky curtido style slaw
- 1 cup red or green (or mixed) cabbage sliced thin
- 1/2 cup carrots julienned or using the peeler peel into thin strips
- 2-4 tablespoons cilantro minced
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Juice of 1/2-1 lime (depending on how juicy it is)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and stir well to combine. Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. The longer it sits the better it tastes! It will keep covered in the fridge for about a week or so.
- 1 cup cauliflower chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen corn (can use fresh cut off the cob)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet (I love cast iron skillets) heated to medium high heat add the corn. Let the corn go until it is charred on each piece then remove from the pan; about 2-4 minutes.
- Add a little oil to the pan and add the mushrooms and cauliflower along with all the spices. Stir to combine, cover and let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir, taste, add salt and pepper and more of any spices if you would like. Let cook, uncovered until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid and the cauliflower is crisp tender. Usually about another 3-5 minutes.
I personally like to add vegan ranch to these tacos but you can have them without and they are still delicious. I use a take on hot for food’s vegan ranch.
- 1 cup vegan mayo. (I use soy-free veganaise)
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (unsweetened and unflavored!)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT the dill, parsley and chives into a blender and blend until smooth and well combined.
- In a bowl place all the chopped herbs, once the blender mixture is ready just pour it in and stir to combine.
- Let the flavors meld in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. The ranch will keep in a closed container refrigerated for a week or more.
Using any tacos of your choice (flour, soft corn or hard corn) first put some of the veggie filling then add some of the curtido. I like to top them with some greens: spinach, lettuce, sprouts. In the picture here I topped them with sun sprouts (my favorite!) Finish with a few dollops of ranch and you are ready to devour them!
These tacos can also be changed in so many ways to finish veggies you have in the fridge or different sauces you have! I have added the veggies and curtido on top of rice and beans in a burrito bowl, I’ve even added them on top of greens in a salad. The possibilities are endless! Let me know what creations you come up with. =)