I love sushi. It is delicious and really versatile so it can be made to fit anyone’s needs or likes! Making sushi at home makes the different types you can make pretty much endless! We have made all kinds of sushi at home, cucumber, carrot, tofu, always with scallions in them but our favorite lately has been this one. So lets get into the recipe!
- 1 cup uncooked rice (you can use sushi rice if you have it, or brown rice or white rice)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. I use a rice cooker and it makes it so easy!
- While the rice is cooking in a large bowl mix the sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Once the rice is done cooking add it to the bowl and mix well. I usually stick it in the fridge/freezer to get cooler while I prep the filling ingredients.
- Flatten the rice in the bowl and score into 5 equal sections
Filling and Assembly
- Sushi rice from above
- 1 package sushi nori
- 1 bunch of scallions trimmed to about the length of the nori (we love scallions feel free to use less here if you arent as big of a fan!)
- 5-6 medium mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 avocado cut into slices
- 1/2 english cucumber julienne (I have a julienne peeler I use to do this and it makes it so easy!)
- Place a piece of sushi nori shiny side down on a sushi roller mat or just on a cutting board
- Place 1/5 of the sushi rice onto the nori and use your hands to spread it into an even layer leaving about a inch at the top and botton
- Take about 1/5 of the filling ingredients and put them on top of the rice in an even layer. try not to overfill the roll or it will be harder to roll up!
- Roll the sushi starting at the end closest to you and bringing it up and over the filling then continuing to roll it until you reach the unfilled inch at the end, wet your fingers and use them to wet the edge then continue rolling! Now you have one sushi roll!
- Side the completed roll aside and continue filling and rolling the remaining sushi rolls!
- To cut the rolls carefully take a sharp knife and cut the rolls into bite sized pieces.
- Serve with tamari/soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger, whatever you would like!
Let me know how you like these sushi rolls if you make them and let me know how you customize them!