It’s grilling weather around here, finally! Even being a vegan there are tons of foods I can and do grill. It adds such a nice flavor and is always fun to have a BBQ. These mushroom sandwiches are hearty, super easy, fresh and delicious. Perfect for spring and summer, definitely something to add to your next BBQ!
- 2 whole portabella mushroom caps, stem removed, wiped clean (I leave the gills but you can always remove them if you would like)
- 1 tomato sliced
- A few thin slices of red onion
- Handful of arugula (about a half cup)
- 4 romaine leaves
- a few basil leaves
- Good balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze if you prefer
- Ciabatta bread (I used roasted garlic ciabatta and it was delicious but feel free to use what you like!)
- Italian seasoning (I use a tuscan blend by McCormick but regular Italian seasoning work fine!)
- Get the grill going or heat a grill pan inside if you prefer to medium high. Use a small amount of oil to oil the grates of the grill or the bottom of the pan. Take the mushrooms gill/stem side up and place into the pan. Use the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to season this side of the mushroom.
- Let the mushrooms cook for about 4-8 minutes on this side (it depends if you are grilling them on a grill or just on a grill pan, then flip and allow to cook for an addition 4-8 minutes on this side. They will have golden grill marks on both sides and be tender when finished.
- I like to toast my ciabatta for a few minutes so you can do this while the mushrooms are cooking. To assemble the sandwich, drizzle some balsamic vinegar on the bottom of the ciabatta, then add the mushroom, tomatoes, onions, basil, arugula and the romaine. I also like to add more balsamic to the top of the ciabatta but that’s up to you!
- Put the top on the sandwich and devour!
- So easy and so simple. As always feel free to add or remove any veggies you like, this is a really easily customized sandwich! You could even add vegan cheese or maybe even the cheese sauce from my burgers recipe would be good I bet! Add any sides you like: potato salad, pasta salad, grilled potatoes, veggie skewers, so many options! Yum!
Let me know what you think if you make this and any changes you make too! =)