This recipe came to be after eating at an Italian restaurant that didn’t have very many vegan options except this salad. It was a warm salad with mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and spinach sauteed with garlic. It was super yummy but not very filling so I decided to make it at home and make it my own way. As far as this recipe goes you can make the veggies and serve them with, really, anything you want. We have had it with pasta, quinoa, chickpeas or you could even do it by itself as a salad if you were feeling that way! Its a simple recipe that can be put together quickly, its delicious and versatile! Lets get into the recipe!
- 1 container mushrooms sliced
- 2 large roasted red peppers sliced into short strips (I bought them in a jar from the store but you could definitely roast your own)
- 4 cups spinach
- 4 cloves of garlic minced ( if you are not as much of a garlic fan as we are feel free to use less, but this amount was great for us)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add one tablespoon of oil to a medium skillet (I love cast iron) over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and saute for 10 minutes until they have released most of their water but it has not all cooked out.
- Add the peppers and stir into the mushrooms, make a little space in the center and add a little more oil if needed then add the garlic and stire around for a minute or two.
- At this point if you do not have a little water still in the bottom of the skillet add some more water now before you add the spinach, 1/4 is usually good for me,
- Add the spinach and cover the skillet. Let cook for 2-3 minutes until the spinach is starting to wilt. Then remove the cover, mix and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the spinach is fully wilted and the water is cooked out, add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over pasta or quinoa or maybe make a big buddha bowl with quinoa, garlic hummus, avocado, greens and these sauteed veggies! Really the possibilities are endless! We LOVE it over pasta with fresh cracked black pepper! Let me know how you make it! =)