The newest barefoot bowl is here, its Mexican inspired and most importantly its delicious, healthy and easy to make! I have been creating and eating so many different bowls lately, they have become one of my new favorite things. One of the main reasons are because they are an awesome way to clean out the fridge. This is something I have been working on lately, I hate wasting food so I try to never let things go bad because I hate throwing away food. But I am also super unorganized so I never plan what I am making ahead and I am the type of person who gets a food idea in my head then I need to make it. Which ends up with me going to the grocery store basically everyday just to pick up a few things to make a certain meal I want to eat. However, I have really been trying to finish what is in the fridge before I shop, so enter barefoot bowls: cook some veggies, leave some raw, throw them on top of some grains, smother on an awesome sauce and bam! Done! Delicious! So lets get into the recipe!
Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1-2 cups cilantro
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4-1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: jalapeno if you like it spicy. (I added a 1/4 small jalapeno seeded)
- Place all ingredients in a blender starting with 1/4 cup of water and process until smooth, add water as needed to get a thick but creamy consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. This will probably make a little extra and it can be stored in a closed container in the fridge!
Quick Stewed Style Black Beans
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients except water to a medium pot over medium heat and stir until beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes. Add the water and a 1/4 cup of beans to a blender and blend until smooth. Add back in the pan and stir to combine allow to cook for another few minutes.
Rice and Veggies
- 1 cup uncooked rice (I used brown rice but feel free to use any you like!)
- 2-3 ears corn (or a cup frozen corn heated)
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced (any color you like or have on hand)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- Salt and pepper
- Water or oil to saute
- Cook rice according to package instructions ( I would get this going first before you do any of the other parts of this recipe!)
- Cook the corn. My favorite way to cook corn on the cob is to trim the ends slightly and place into a preheated 350F oven for about 10 minutes, turning once while cooking. You can cook it any way you like though! Cut the corn off the cob and set aside
- Place a medium skillet over medium high heat and add the oil if using and then add the mushrooms, peppers, and onions and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. If you are using water just add a little water if the veggies start to stick. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Time to assemble! Put some rice into a bowl, add the beans, top with the sauteed veggies, add some corn and finally smother on some of the sauce and you are ready to eat! So easy and so delicious!
This recipe is super easy to customize as well, feel free to add other veggies you have on hand or leave something out if you don’t like it! Have fun in the kitchen! Food should be delicious, nourishing and healthy! Fuel your body with the best foods you can!
As always let me know if you make this recipe and anything you add! Until next time! xo