I know it has been awhile since I last posted, summer got super busy but super fun and I just didn’t have time to create recipes, photograph them and post them! However now that fall has set in and I am a full time yoga teacher (!!) I have some more time and have been recipe creating like crazy. Its been so nice to be able to have this creative outlet back without stressing myself out to try to get recipes out each week. Moving forward I am going to continue to try to post once a week. I have some great recipes for the month of October and I am working on some great vegan Thanksgiving recipes for November, think baked artisan mac and cheese and scalloped potatoes. YUM! For today we have an awesome butternut squash recipe, and since Mike doesn’t like just plain smooth soups it has some unlikely accompaniments that bring it to the next level. We ate it twice in one week, its that good!
Black Rice and Brussel Sprouts
- 1 cup Black Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablepoon oil (I used coconut oil)
- 4 cups brussel sprouts trimmed and sliced in half or quarters depending on size
- salt and pepper
- Cook the black rice according to package instructions (start this before you start the soup so they are finished around the same time!)
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil and pan are hot add the brussel sprouts and salt and pepper. Stir to coat the brussel sprouts and them spread to an even layer. Allow them to cook without distrubing for a few minutes, you want to get some carmalization on them!
- Once they are browning on one side you can mix and flip then let them hang out again for a few minutes. I would start the brussel sprouts about half way through the soup cooking and they will be done at the same time! They will take about 10-15 minutes.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoon curry spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 medium butternut squash peel and cut into cubes
- 1/2 can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups of veggie broth (I just used a veggie bullion cube with water)
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat, once hot add the onions and saute until they start to soften and become translucent. About 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the chopped squash, and all the spices along with some salt and pepper, stir to coat the squash in the spices and let saute for around 5 minutes
- Add the veggie broth, and the coconut milk and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce and simmer until the squash is tender. About 20 minutes
- Carefully add the soup to a blender or blend with an immersion blender until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, you may need more salt and pepper at this point along with some sweetener of choice, I added about 1 tablespoon maple syrup but this also depends on your taste.
Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup fill it with black rice then carefully flip it into your bowl like your building a rice (sand) castle! Ladle the soup around the rice and add the cooked brussel sprouts. I added a drizzle of coconut milk, mostly just to make it look nice so this is totally optional! Then devour while its hot. Let me know what you think if you make this recipe! We loved it!