I love tacos. They are so versatile and delicious and also REALLY easy to make and veganize too! I have made my own chorizo style tofu and I like it a lot so you could totally google a recipe if you cant find Uptons Naturals Chorizo Seitan. However if you can find the seitan ( its always at whole foods and sometimes other natural food stores too) you should definitely use it, its delicious! I also plan on making my own seitan in the near future so stay tuned for that! For these tacos the seitan gets sauteed with mushrooms then covered in homemade pico de gallo and a creamy, smoky crema. So yummy, lets get into the recipe.
Chorizo Seitan Tacos with Pico de Gallo and Chipotle Cashew Crema
Pico De Gallo
- 4 medium ripe roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 a medium onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 chipolte pepper in adobo seeded and minced
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the flavors combine. Can be stored in the fridge in an air tight container for about a week.
Chipotle Cashew Crema
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews (*see note*)
- 1-2 chipotle pepper in adobo seeded
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the cashews and peppers in a blender. Blend. Add water a tablespoons at a time as needed to get desired consistancy. Add salt and pepper to taste. **Note: if you forgot to soak your cashews you can just boil them in water for about 10 minutes then strain!*This tip can help you make mac and cheese the same day too! =)
Seitan Mushroom Filling
- 4 medium/large baby bella mushrooms in rough large chunks
- Half package of chorizo seitan
- 1 tablespoon oil of your choice (I like using coconut oil)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat add the oil and once the oil is hot add the mushrooms. Saute for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms have released most of their water and reduced in size.
- Add the seitan and 2 tablespoons of water. Saute for 2-4 minutes until the seitan is warm through.
using corn or flower tortillas place some of the seitan mushrooms filling in, adding pico de gallo on top, I also like to add lettuce or spinach, then finish with the chipotle cashew crema. Devour. So good.
As always let me know what you think if you make them!