I have been trying to find the perfect pizza recipe for SO long. As long as I have been vegan and even before that so all in all a few years. Yes years. I love pizza that much and there was always something missing from each recipe. That something every time was the cheese. I tried recipe on recipe and all the store bought ones I could find and they were always not what I wanted. Sticky, not melty, to gooey, weird flavored, etc. I have been playing around with cheese recipes for a long time and I FINALLY came up with the best one ever. That’s a bold claim but its true. It’s just the right amount of gooey and melty and it even partially solidifies back up as it cools like a mozzarella would. The best part of this cheese is its really easy. It takes about 15 minutes to make enough cheese for two pizzas and even though it is made with cashews it isnt a ton of them. Which is nice for your wallet! =) I have been working on a crust recipe that I like and haven’t found the one yet so I do use a store bought dough but if you have a recipe you like by all means use that. I buy the portland pie company dough. I really like all their favors and they even have a gluten free one. I haven’t tried it but it is an option.
As far as order for this recipe if I do it all in one night I usually preheat the oven and pizza stone first. I make the cheese and while it is firming up in the fridge get the sauce going. Once all the ingredients are ready you can make the pizza(s). While I am waiting I usually do some yoga in the kitchen. =) Do yoga, eat pizza. Its a good motto to live by.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon agar agar (I use this one)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup raw cashews (either soaked overnight or boiled for 10 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon miso paste (light colored miso, I use this one)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil, I use sunflower but any other vegetable oil should work.
- Large bowl full of ice water (I use one tray of cubes and around 2-3 quarts of water
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the first two into a blender, a high speed blender works best for this. Blend until a smooth milky consistency is achieved. Scraping down the sides of the blender as needed to fully process all the ingredients.
- Place the first two ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Stir often for about 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is thick and translucent in color.
- Add the blender mixture to the sauce pan and stir to combine. Continue to cook this mixture over medium heat for 3-5 minutes stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. It is done when it is thickened, smooth and glossy looking.
- Once the mixture is ready remove from the heat and use an ice scream scoop balls of the hot cheese and drop them into the ice water. Once all the cheese is in balls in the water let them firm up completely in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.. These can also be stored in water in the fridge for about a week.
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2-4 garlic cloves diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon evoo
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium high heat. Add the onion a saute for a few minutes once translucent add the garlic and saute for another minute or two.
- Add both the cans of tomatoes and bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add the chopped basil and stir to combine. Taste and season as needed adding a tablespoon of brown sugar if the sauce is still quite acidic, this depends on the tomatoes you use.
Any store bought or recipe you like. If you buy a ball form the store I like the leave it on the counter in the morning to let it get up to room temp. I find it is easier to work with and also bakes better! To make the crust extra crispy use a pizza stone.
Preheat the oven to 475 or as hot as your oven goes with the pizza stone inside. Spread out the dough on a flipped cookie sheet or a pizza peel using cornmeal so the crust doesn’t stick. Spread a layer of sauce. Cut the cheese balls into slices and place around the pizza then I like to sprinkle the top with a little dried oregano. Carefully transfer the pizza into the hot oven onto the pizza stone and let cook for about 10-15 minutes until all bubbly and delicious. Take the pizza back out using the cookie tray or using a pizza peel. I like to brush the crust with a mixture of olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and a little salt but this is optional. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting it into slices and devouring.
This pizza is SO GOOD. Seriously so good. Even if your not vegan try this out. =) And let me know what you think.